Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Lemon Meringue Pie and Never Fail Meringue

What a morning... I usually set my alarm for 6:00 a.m. to be at work at 8:00 a.m. This morning I suddenly came to and thought I was hearing my alarm, but when I looked over at my clock it was 7:30! I  forgot to set my alarm last night, and I had to be at work in half an hour!

I also hadn't decided on a recipe for today and didn't have time to run to the store. The whole time I was getting ready to go, and while I was driving to work, I was running through the cookbook in my head and thinking about what we have in the kitchen, trying to think what I could make. The thought crossed my mind that maybe it wasn't meant to be today.

When I got to the Cafe I was thinking molasses cookies (for some reason we have a lot of molasses), but we didn't have enough butter. So I flipped through the dessert section and landed on Lemon Meringue Pie. Sure enough we had all the ingredients, and my dilemma was solved! I was able to whip it together, and as I write this it's chilling in the fridge just waiting to be eaten during lunch today!


Had it been any other cookbook, I would have stressed out more. However, it is just Marjorie's way to write recipes that use ingredients you would have on hand, so if you aren't able to go to the grocery store, you can still have a delicious dessert. And, even better, it only took me an hour to put the recipe together.

I have made lemon meringue pies in the past, and this recipe seems pretty similar as far as ingredients go but with less steps. Basically combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, and boiling water with the dry ingredients: sugar, cornstarch flour and salt. Stir this combination over low heat until it becomes thick then allow to cool. Make the meringue, spread on top, and bake for a few minutes in a hot oven. It can be done quickly, and it looks delicious!

So here it is, a delicious Lemon Meringue Pie with Never Fail Meringue!





Blue Elephant Cafe 
12 Pepperell Square 
Saco, Maine 04072
207-281-3070


No comments:

Post a Comment