Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Spinach Casserole with Homemade French Bread Served with a side of Greens

Today, January 5th, I had planned to make Spinach Casserole and Homemade French Bread. No problem, except that I knew that the French Bread was going to take more time than I had this morning, so I made the bread yesterday afternoon. I always overestimate how much time it will take me to pull together one of Marjorie's recipes and could have probably pulled it off this morning. In addition to this I must say that her French Bread recipe is perhaps the easiest French Bread Recipe that I've ever made. 


We made a lot of bread when I was in baking class at Culinary School. It always took a long time to pull together, let it rise, punch it down, and let it rise again before rolling it into loaves. Marjorie's recipe however only involved mixing the ingredients (which were minimal) and then stirring the dough five times in ten minute intervals. After that you roll it into your loaf shape and let it rise for an hour and half and bake for half an hour. It seems like a lot of steps written out but when you are actually making the bread, it very simple. 




            "Then (and this is the interesting part), stir through this dough with a spoon at 10-minute intervals     five times. Did you ever hear of anything so easy? No kneading, as you can see"
                                                                                               ~Marjorie Standish on French Bread









This morning when I came in I made the Spinach Casserole which is a combination of spinach, rice and cheddar cheese. I baked the casserole in mini ramekins and the dish will be served warm with a couple slices of French bread and a side of greens. 









              "This way of serving spinach is a popular 'company' dinner at our house.......It was a prize winning recipe and I can see why, it has so many good things about it........" 
                                                                               ~Marjorie Standish on Spinach Casserole 



1 comment:

  1. I wish I lived closer so that I could try this yummy looking spinach casserole. Guess I'll have to make it myself at home!

    ReplyDelete