Thursday, March 3, 2011

Welsh Rabbit

"We talk about making a rarebit in Maine by using a cream sauce and adding cut-up cheese. It is good, but not nearly as good as the following recipe." Marjorie Standish

I had just added the last ingredient to the Welsh Rabbit when a customer came in for some breakfast and asked me what Standish special I had made for the day. When I told him he asked me, "Why do they call it rabbit?" with a disgusted look on his face. I told him that I didn't know but would look it up, and I did. Here is what I found out. The dish is neither Welsh nor does it have rabbit in it. There is evidence that it does originate in England, more specifically Wales, where the poor man's meat was cheese. The dish originated in the 18th century, and the ingredients are the staples of the region. There is an ongoing banter between people on the internet as to whether the name is actually Welsh Rabbit or Welsh Rarebit. From what Marjorie says... it is actually Welsh Rabbit, at least in Maine. What do you think?

Come in to the Blue Elephant today and try a helping of Welsh Rabbit by itself for $3.50 or with a cup of soup for $4.95.

Creamy Cheese Sauce


Rustic Italian Bread


Baked together and fresh out of the oven! 






Blue Elephant Cafe
12 Pepperell Square
Saco, Maine 04072

207-281-3070


No comments:

Post a Comment