Friday, January 13, 2012

Nuts and Bolts



Are you from Maine? Did your Grandmother or Mother ever used to make Chex Mix or "Nuts and Bolts" for a snack around Christmas? Or perhaps any time of the year! 

Throughout my childhood my mom and grandmother would make Chex Mix from scratch, I believe it may even be this recipe though they never pulled out this cookbook. It was always around Christmas and it was always a special treat. To this day my dad especially looks forward to Christmas for the homemade Chex Mix, or "T.V. Mix" as he calls it. 

It's so easy and so delicious too. Simply melt butter or margarine, worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, onion salt, and celery seed together and pour over nuts and cereal. Marjorie recommends mixed nuts, rice chex, shredded wheat squares, cheerios and pretzel twists. Of course you can mix it up and make it to your own liking or follow the recipe exactly. 

Once the mixture is coated evenly it's baked in the oven for about an hour, stirring occasionally. 


Do you have memories with this recipe? If so write to me and tell me your story! I'd love to hear about it. We still have a few containers for sale at the Blue Elephant Cafe so come on by and grab a container for a snack later today! 


Blue Elephant Cafe
12 Pepperell Square
Saco, Maine 04072
207-281-3070


No comments:

Post a Comment