Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Note From the Kitchen



It's now been well over a year since I decided I needed a project, and that project turned into cooking my way through Marjorie Standish's Cooking Down East Cookbook. For an added twist I decided to do this here at work, The Blue Elephant Cafe, located in Pepperell Square in Saco, where we serve breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday. Every day I choose a recipe from the cookbook, make enough to serve in our restaurant for a couple of days, photograph it and then blog about it. 

Most of the recipes have been wonderful; easy to identify with and fun to make and write about. Our customers love it too. Most of them are from Maine and are familiar with this cookbook. In fact it's been great because many of them have a story to share that goes along with the project. For example, one of our regular customers used to be Marjorie's dental hygienist. Another received this cookbook as a wedding present almost 30 years ago! Others will describe to me how their mother used to make the recipe I've made that day. It's been great - a great conversation piece and fun for all parties! 

As I round the corner to the finish line, it gets harder and harder to choose what recipe to make as I've done most of the exciting ones! I've made a lot of good food, and out of this project a lot of good ideas have come for both the Blue Elephant Cafe and for our catering division (the Blue Elephant Events and Catering). 

If you've taken the time to read any part of my blog I appreciate it! And if you have not seen your favorite Marjorie Standish recipe go by, please let me know and I'll be sure to make it right away. I'm always up for suggestions! 

So let the countdown begin.... only 85 more recipes to go, and I will have completely cooked my way through one of Maine's most famous cookbooks! 







Blue Elephant Cafe 
12 Pepperell Square 
Saco, Maine 04072
207-281-3070




No comments:

Post a Comment