Monday, August 29, 2011

Old Fashioned Chicken Casserole

I decided the other day that I wanted to finish the "Poultry" section of this cookbook. I only have a couple more poultry recipes left, but I have been focusing on the desserts recently. I landed on the Old Fashioned Chicken Casserole; it was like nothing I've ever made before. At least as far as methods go.

The directions in this cookbook are a little bit vague to say the least, and I always feel like I'm inferring. The first line of the Old Fashioned Chicken Casserole recipe says, "Prepare chicken or fowl, cook until tender in 1 quart water, adding salt and pepper. Remove chicken. Cool." Well...I assume Marjorie meant to boil the chicken on the stove top in the water and not in the oven in the water. So that's what I did.





After the chicken is done, you make a white sauce of the juice, and pour it over the meat and some bread crumbs in a casserole dish. This is all baked in the oven. It came out like a chicken a la king. We served it over white toast with a side of mixed greens. Delish!



Blue Elephant Cafe
12 Pepperell Square
Saco, Maine 04072
207-281-3070






No comments:

Post a Comment