Thursday, December 16, 2010

Vegetable Soup Served with Buttermilk Biscuits

Today's special started off with some hearty root vegetables, a can of tomatoes and a couple quarts of water. I've been planning on making this vegetable soup all week, however it keeps getting pushed back a day due to scheduling. In the end it worked out perfectly because it is perhaps the coldest day we've had so far this year and now there is a wonderfully warm and hearty soup to enjoy here at The Blue Elephant Cafe.

The vegetable soup is made with tons of root veggies like potatoes and turnips in addition to onions and cabbage and tomatoes. The one thing about Marjorie's vegetable soup is that it is not vegetarian as it is made with a soup bone. I am sure I could have substituted the soup bone for vegetable bouillon or something of the sort, but I am trying to stick to the recipes as much as possible. The soup smells and tastes delicious. It's easy to pull together, the only thing is that it has to sit and simmer for at least three hours. I would not be afraid to try this recipe in the crock pot. It would be an easy meal for someone with not a lot of time to do cooking at home.



The soup will be served in your choice of a cup or a bowl and with a buttermilk biscuit, which I also made today. I was disappointed with how my biscuits turned out and would like to try to make them again. They taste just fine but didn't rise as much as I would have liked. I also had to make a substitution for buttermilk because I forgot to pick some up. It worked just fine but I wonder how much of a difference the real buttermilk would make.






Come in to The Blue Elephant Cafe today, Thursday December 16th, and warm up with some hearty vegetable soup and buttermilk biscuits! 






No comments:

Post a Comment