Friday, July 22, 2011

Frozen Date Salad

"Back in 'cooking school days' frozen date salad appeared on one of the menus. It was one of the first frozen salads I remember and one of the best. Good for wintertime eating." Marjorie Standish


While it is suggested that you make this in the winter, I thought it would not only be nice on this hot, hot day, but I might as well finish off this "date week" in style! It is an interesting recipe and certainly dates itself to the 1950's era. Basically it's a cream cheese base with dates and a bit of orange juice. This sets in a mold in the freezer. I fully expected it to not freeze, but all signs are looking good.



This recipe reminds me of my grandmother. When she had company over, my grandmother used to put out an appetizer of cream cheese with mustard poured over the top. This was spread over crackers.  I always thought it was funny looking, but it was very popular. While Marjorie's recipe doesn't have mustard, it still reminds me of that appetizer and something my grandmother would make.

Today we will be serving this Frozen Date Salad over Fresh Greens with a Refreshing Balsamic Vinaigrette for 4.50. You never know! You may just fall in love with it!




Blue Elephant Cafe
12 Pepperell Square
Saco, Maine 04072
207-281-3070


No comments:

Post a Comment