Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Date and Nut Bread

I can't decide if I would actually label this as a bread. There is a lot of sugar in the batter which makes it a very sweet bread, but it has the consistency of a cake. It's very much like the date cake I made yesterday.



No funny stories on this one. It was pretty straight forward. The only strange thing was Marjorie had me mix the nuts, dates and baking soda in a bowl. Then to that I added shortening and boiling water. This mixture sat before it was added it to the eggs, sugar and flour. I have never read or made anything this way. It was interesting. The result looks kind of like a fruit cake without the fruit. It smells fantastic. Come on in, and give this recipe a try!

Only two more date recipes to go!


Blue Elephant Cafe
12 Pepperell Square 
Saco, Maine 04072
207-281-3070


No comments:

Post a Comment