Sunday, February 27, 2011

Best Apple Pie and Crust

Was this the best pie I've ever made? I'm going to have to go with no. I had the hardest time with making the crust. When I was in Culinary School we had a week dedicated to pies and we made several pie crusts per day. I never had as much trouble with a crust as I did with this recipe. 

There is a lot of speculation that weather has much to do with how your baked goods turn out, and on this day that could have been the case but I think it also had to to do with the ingredients Marjorie used in her pie Crust. Of course flour, salt and a little bit of water but the odd ingredient was vegetable oil. In any pie crust I've made before it has called for vegetable shortening or butter, but oil was a new ingredient. I had to make and throw out this pie crust twice before the crust was pliable enough to roll out. It tasted just fine but it wasn't a light and flaky crust and I suspect an ingredient like shortening or butter would have given it those qualities.



On the other hand the filling of Marjorie's Best Apple Pie was delicious and had just the right amount of sugar and spices. If I were to make the whole recipe again I would substitute the vegetable oil in the crust with shortening and use the same filling and see how it all turned out. 


Blue Elephant Cafe
12 Pepperell Square 
Saco Maine 04072




No comments:

Post a Comment