Monday, May 16, 2011

Rhubarb Crisp

It's almost summer and that means fresh delicious vegetables from the garden. Our good friends, Joe and Andrea, who eat here at the Blue Elephant almost every day, were so kind and brought me a huge bag full of rhubarb harvested from their garden. Marjorie has seven rhubarb recipes in Cooking Down East, and I'm excited to cook my way through them.



Rhubarb is one of my favorite summer treats. I remember growing, picking and eating rhubarb as a child. We used to grow it in our garden; my mom would go out to the garden, cut the stalks, bring them back to the kitchen and make things like rhubarb sauce and rhubarb crisp. We also would cut the rhubarb into half inch pieces and freeze them in baggies so we could enjoy it when it wasn't in season.


The first rhubarb recipe I decided make was Rhubarb Crisp; a deliciously bitter sweet dessert topped with brown sugar and butter. Come enjoy this treat at the Blue Elephant Cafe today for 1.25/cup.




Blue Elephant Cafe 
12 Pepperell Square 
Saco, Maine 04072
207-281-3070


No comments:

Post a Comment