Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Golden Cake with Fudge Frosting

I realized the other day that I have a mountain of dessert recipes to get through in Cooking Down East, so today I chose to make a Golden Cake with Fudge Frosting. I'm actually excited about experimenting with some new baking recipes. I usually stick to my old standbys, and I would like to add more variety to my repertoire.



Marjorie describes the Golden Cake this way: "When you are looking for a basic cake recipe for making Boston cream pie, cupcakes or a plain 2-egg cake to be served with a fudge frosting then this is the one to use." The reason I chose this recipe first was because we had all of the ingredients on hand. I like this about Marjorie's recipes a lot; they only use key ingredients that you would find in any kitchen and only on occasion would you need to run to the store to find something that you might not have on hand.

One snafu I ran into with this cake was that the fudge frosting set up quickly while I was waiting for the cake to cool. So if I were to make the recipe again, I would wait for the cake to be completely done before making the frosting. Not a big deal though! It still was workable and tasted wonderful.

The process was not difficult and the end result... delicious!



First, use the creaming method with the fat and the sugar. 


Sift and add flour and other dry ingredients. And it's ready to go in the oven. 


While waiting for the cake to bake, melt the chocolate and butter. 



Mix with sugar and milk and bring to a boil. 



Whip it until it becomes spreadable. 


Two beautiful Golden Cakes!


The masterpiece is done! Golden cake with Fudge Frosting! Yum! 


Blue Elephant Cafe 
12 Pepperell Square 
Saco, Maine 04072
207-281-3070




No comments:

Post a Comment