Monday, May 23, 2011

Cabbage Salad

You know it's summer when.....? Finish the sentence. What comes to mind when you think of summer food? This morning when I opened Cooking Down East, it fell to Cabbage Salad which turns out to be a fancy way of saying cole slaw.

"Call it cabbage salad or cole slaw. In our family we usually referred to cabbage salad. It is only a notion but I think of chopping it to make a cabbage salad, using mayonnaise. If it's cole slaw the cabbage is shredded and slightly sweet vinegar and oil dressing is mixed with it."  Marjorie Standish




I've always known cole slaw to have a mayonnaise dressing, and I've never heard it called cabbage salad. However, the end result looks pretty much the same.



Regardless of the name, it is a dish that always reminds me of a summer picnic. With all of this rain we've been having on the east coast, I figured we could use some cheering up with thoughts of summer and picnics. Come to the Blue Elephant Cafe today, and try some cabbage salad. It will be served in a fresh lettuce cup and surely will make your day!

Blue Elephant Cafe
12 Pepperell Square
Saco, Maine 04072
207-281-3070


No comments:

Post a Comment