Monday, December 19, 2011

Salmon Chowder

"Salmon chowder is a traditional chowder in Maine. It harks back to days when meat was not always on hand and fresh fish not available. This recipe has filled a need in Maine since olden days. It might be a good idea for you to have a can of salmon in your cupboard, just for an emergency." Marjorie Standish


Salmon Chowder... I've never heard of this until reading this book. In fact I've never worked with canned salmon until I started cooking my way through this cookbook. The recipe was simple and came together like all of the other chowder recipes.

I'm told it's delicious and a hearty winter soup. You will definitely want to come in to the Blue Elephant and give this one a try!




Do you have an experience with Salmon Chowder? Or perhaps canned salmon? Is it a part of your childhood? Let me know I'm very curious!




Blue Elephant Cafe 
12 Pepperell Square
Saco, Maine 04072
207-281-3070




1 comment:

  1. Canned salmon, canned shrimp, AND canned sardines and clams. We used all of them a lot especially inland. It's what was available in the winter.

    ReplyDelete