Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Shredded Wheat Bread

"This was not the first yeast bread recipe used in my column but it was the second one. Ever popular, this recipe makes 2 loaves of bread." 
                                         Marjorie Standish





This was a great recipe. Though I'm showing my age when I had to call my mom and ask what shredded wheat biscuits were and where to find them at the grocery store. It did require some time and planning ahead as the dough had to sit and rise for a few hours, be punched down, then rise again before baking. 



The flavor was very good, very yeasty- similar to that of a darker beer. Other ingredients included molasses, shortening, yeast, flour and of course shredded wheat biscuits! 

I was also reminded of when I was in baking class at school, we had bread week. I was so inspired and motivated to make my own bread to have at home. Unfortunately that idea didn't last very long but whenever I make homemade bread I'm reminded of this inclination that I had. 

Who knows...seeing as most of the rest of the recipes I have to finish are in the bread section maybe with the end of this project I will become inspired once again. 



Blue Elephant Cafe
12 Pepperell Square 
Saco, Maine 04072
207-281-3070


No comments:

Post a Comment